A: There is a common misconception that seeding is the best way to establish a lawn because it is much less expensive than turfing. In reality, turfing the area turns out to be less expensive over time once costs such as increased maintenance inputs and repair are accounted for. Add to that the instantaneous and finished look you achieve with turf and it’s clear to see that turfing the area is preferable in most instances. Here are other points to consider when deciding whether to seed or turf:
- A professional turf lawn needs no special care because it is a healthy mature lawn when installed, whereas a sprigged or seeded lawn requires years of nurturing to reach maturity. Turf is grown under expert supervision from either top quality seed blends or certified hybrid sprigs. After it has been installed, just water, mow and fertilize your turf lawn as needed and it will remain a healthy, green carpet of grass, requiring very little maintenance.
- Turf can be installed practically anywhere, even where seeding is impossible or too costly. Turf is often used to stop soil erosion and water pollution on slopes where rain would wash away both seed and soil.
- Turf establishes itself quickly. In a couple of weeks, it is ready for full use. It creates the perfect surface for lawn games and family outdoor living. With todays various blends of hardy grasses, turf is chosen for parks, golf courses, athletic fields, as well as residential homes and business parks.
Turf has revolutionized the lawn business! Now you can install a turf lawn anytime during the year when the ground can be tilled. There is no need to wait for the “right” season to establish your lawn.
- Turf is the only way to go from bare soil to lush, green lawn in just hours. Yet, it is relatively inexpensive to use. In the few hours it takes to install your turf lawn, your property value increases significantly and even more in aesthetic value.
- With todays ecological concerns, many more people are considering turf for its environmental benefits. Turf cools and cleans the atmosphere by reflecting the sun’s heat and absorbing noises, carbon dioxide and other harmful pollutants. It releases valuable oxygen and moisture into the air we breathe. As it grows, turf silently contributes to a healthier environment.
- Today we expect convenience, efficiency and quality in our products. Buildings are going up almost overnight and attractive landscaping is installed in hours. Why wait one or two years for a new lawn to struggle to maturity when you can have a beautiful turf lawn complimenting your buildings right now. That high quality turf lawn can be conveniently installed in hours, at a surprisingly low cost.